As you share your amazing works uploaded at Papaya FM, there are other users who comment on your works or on your performance. These users include ordinary listeners who are merely audiobook or podcast fans, other narrators, audio agents, editors, producers, etc. We encourage you not to post your personal information in your profile or work; hence, we encourage you to caution this situation where you are asked for contact information by other users, no matter whether they are your followers or not.
We always encourage our users to do the necessary research when contacted by someone claiming to be an audio agent, editor or producer. Ask to speak with previous and current clients, be sure to read everything extremely carefully before you sign anything with them, and make sure that you will not violate against our Terms of Service.
Tips on researching an audio producer or agent:
1.Do an Internet search of the producer/editor/agency and see if it returns any results that may look suspicious.
2. Visit the the official site of the producer, editor, or agent. Most professional agents, editors, and producers should have websites that anyone can visit and browse.
3. Look to see if the agent/editor/producer has any affiliations or partnerships with major companies (ie. Amazon). If they do, call or email the partners and ask if they feel reliable on the user who asks for your contact information.
4. Be wary if the agent, editor, or producer asks for any money upfront or offers an incentive such as advanced royalties or the promise to become “rich” if you give them your contact information and cooperate with them.
5. Make sure you fully understand an agent, editor, or producer’s process and their terms of agreement. This includes, but is not limited to your proof listening, editing, revision, distribution rights, etc. If necessary, seek legal advice. Always read the fine print so you are aware of what rights you may retain and what you are giving to a publisher.
6. Never be afraid of asking too many questions. If the agent, editor, or producer is credible and genuinely interested in working with you, they should have no problem fielding all of your questions.
7. If you feel suspicious on the user who asks for your contact information or any other personal information, no matter whether it is suggested to be used in the “future cooperation”, please do not feel pressure refusing such request.
Do not hesitate to contact our Support Team if you are unsure of the credibility of an audio agent, editor, or producer. We can give applicable suggestions on such situation or help you confirm if they are trustworthy to work with you.